Monday, December 8, 2008

NBC to Keep Leno; No Word on Removing Knife from O'Brian's Back


The New York Times reports that NBC is prepared to offer Jay Leno its nightly 10 p.m. time slot. As reported, "no broadcast network has ever before offered the same show in prime time five nights a week." More commentary soon* on why this is a yellow card.


*12.11.2008: Did I say "soon"? My bad, I forgot the "-er or later" suffix.

It's been a busy, busy week for me, which led to a bit of negligence on my part (thankfully negligence falling just short of "gross" and sparing myself another self-inflicted yellow). But I do want to say: I'm retracting my card on this one. My ground for showing it to NBC was for disrespect to Conan O'Brian, but the tale, pale funnyman had nothing but praise for the move and even admitted knowing something about it. I won't accuse him of lying.

What's still confusing, though, is NBC's dedication to the idea of a variety show in primetime. America's Got Talent never mustered a comparable audience to Dancing With the Stars or American Idol in the talent competition wars, and Rosie tanked big time with her recent variety show special. Admittedly, Leno brings his own built-in audience (in theory), but CBS is already chalking up their victory in a Leno vs. CSI showdown.

Which reminds me--one of these days I've got to get around to yellow-carding CSI for ripping off every Law & Order plot ever. Mental note made.

No comments: